Tips to Help Your Teen Think Positive
Encourage your teen to think positively by being a positive role model
- Share positive experiences with your teen.
- Have a positive outlook on life and demonstrate that positive outlook in everyday situations.
- Don't dwell on the negative.
Call Toll Free 866-868-1005 for help!
Three ways to help your teen think more positively about themselves
- Don't allow him to talk negatively about himself.
- Encourage your teen to see the positive aspects of what he did, even if they did not succeed - "You may not have gotten an A, but I think you did a great job on my project".
- Help your teen set reasonable goals, then celebrate those goals.
Tips to helping your teen stay positive when trying something new
- If your teen is afraid of failure, remind them of past successes and encourage them to try.
- Reward them for their efforts and teach them its okay for them to reward themselves for trying something new, win or fail.
- Point out the advantages of trying a new activity, like learning new skills or meeting new people.
Help your teen see the good along with the bad
- When something bad happens, acknowledge it, talk about it, and move forward - don't dwell on the negative.
- Use negative situations as learning tools to prevent them from making the same decisions.
Let your teen learn from their mistakes or other people's mistakes
- Show your teen that everyone makes mistakes - use personal experiences, news stories, or their favorite movie star as examples.
- Help them recognize the factors that lead to their mistake so they won't make the same mistake again.
- Give them options and suggestions on handling similar situations in the future.
Suggest activities that can increase positive thinking
- Smile and laugh!
- Communication - share your positive thoughts and experiences.
- Associate with positive people at school or work.
Give them a positive statement they can repeat to themselves to encourage positive thinking
- I am not alone.
- I am proud of who I am.
- What I think of myself is more important than what others think of me.
Tips to promoting positive thinking through parental care and support
- Be available when you teen needs you and give them the encouragement they need.
- Always show them that you love them unconditionally.
- Provide a positive home environment where they feel safe and secure.
Healthy teens are more positive teens. Here are three ways to help keep them healthy:
- Eat a nutritious diet.
- Get plenty of sleep and avoid too much stress.
- Exercise regularly.
Back to Articles