• No Child Left Behind - General information on this government initiative to change the state of public education.
• Helping Your Teen Through Early Adolescence - Tips for parents of teens on how to encourage your teen during the early years of adolescence.
• Reading - Encouraging your children to read and teaching them a love of reading are some of the best methods of achieving academic success.
• How Can I Tell If My Child Has a Problem - Tips on figuring out the difference between normal teen rebellion and signs of more serious problems.
• IEP - Guide to Individualized Education Plans from the US Dept of Education, which will help you determine if your child is in need of an IEP due to learning differences or disabilities. Every parent should know their rights when it comes to IEPs!
It's important to find the boarding school that best suits the needs of your child. Some programs specialize in ADHD, some in substance abuse issues, some have reputations for turning failing students into top SAT scorers. When you visit the websites or request materials from programs, make a list of the questions that are important to you before you contact an admissions counselor. You want to make sure you are making the best choice for your teen. Most programs will also offer phone numbers of parents who have sent their children to their school. These parents can help you decide if a particular residential program will best serve your child.